Monday, November 5, 2007

Sun Motor Hunt 2007



What an eventful Saturday, to tell you the truth, I only managed to find enough energy today to pen my experience for this hunt. I was really excited and looking forward to this hunt, so called the mother of all hunts. And am so lucky I managed to find a team as early as August. You must be thinking I am so kiasu hehehe... But one person I would like to thank for helping me get a team is Michael Pang. Thanks Mike for helping me out in the Solo Hunter program. Without you, I would not have found Chew, Gim Lee, and Siow Lyn.

Well, I decided to take half day off to attend the briefing. My first sun hunt, I decided not to miss it. Briefing starts at 6 pm. And the earliest time I can leave office is 5.30 pm. I know I can't make it on time because of the distance from the Science Centre. Actually that half day, really had something to do with one of the treasures during the Sun Hunt. As I was driving home and passing by Puchong, I decided to have my lunch at the food court at Puteri Mart. While waiting for my food I noticed, someone drinking the Wong Lo Kat drink :)

Hunt day, we decided to meet up at Lyn's place and off we went to the Science Centre. When we arrived there, there was a long queue of cars ahead of us, our team was like nearly the last few cars to arrive. We flagged off at 8.04 am, and headed for Uptown Damansara and Damansara Jaya (Atria area) for Leg 1. Leg 1 was rather interesting, no tulips at all. We had to identify which sector we were based on the picture clues given. There were 8 sectors in Uptown but only 6 sectors are used in the hunt. The first 11 questions were at Uptown. We spent quite a lot of time, still trying to answer all the questions. By 10 am, we had to listen to mix fm for the first treasure clues. We felt that the DJ read the question like a bullet train. We could hardly grasps what he was reading and it was done. So we had to watch out for the 2nd and 3rd time when it comes on air again. This time we managed to grap what was being read and worked on trying to solve the treasure. By 10.30 am, we decided we have to move on to Damansara Jaya for the remaining 4 questions for Leg 1 as we were running late on time. At Damansara Jaya, we went through the sectors quickly and headed for the Leg 1 submission at the McDonald's drive through at Sunway. While heading there, we started looking at the treasure questions, as we did not have time to look at it before that.

Submitted Leg 1 around 11 am. Took our lunch package and try to figure out what treasures to buy. With all this rush, it was hard to think properly. It was like your brain was in a mess :)). I decided to head for the Caltex station nearby to get some ideas what to buy. Didn't really help either. So headed for Leg2's first destination, Pusat Bandar Puchong and Bandar Puteri. While on the way there, we managed to crack some of the treasures and decided to start buying them at Puchong. At that time, we only figured out the Wong Lo Kat and the Pilot G-2-07 pen. The other treasure was either the Kit Kat or Timeout, and Tong Garden but dunno which variant to purchase. We finished the Puchong area around 12.30, with 2 hours to finish time (without penalty). Next destination PJU, the journey there was rather unpleasant as we were caught in a bad jam. It took us more than an hour to reach the destination. After that the last destination was Wangsa Maju area near the check-in point, Royal Selangor Visitor Centre. When we arrived Wangsa Maju, our time was eating into the penalty time. We decided to take the gamble 5 more route questions in trade of 6 penalty points. We were very fortunate as Wangsa Maju was Chew and Gim Lee's territory. Thanks to Gim Lee for her superb navigation skills, we managed to bypass some traffic and solved all 5 questions. Credit should also be given to Chew who drove like Lewis Hamilton to the check-in point. And also Lyn for running to the finishing line like we were in the Amazing Race :)). We checked in at 3.03 pm, 1 minute before disqualification. That was a close shave. It was stressful for the last 5 questions but we made it. It was all worth the effort.

We received 6 penalty points, and finished at 25th position. I really had a good time and was so happy we made the cut for the top 50. It was indeed a wonderful experience, my first Sun Hunt.

6 comments:

Cornelius said...

Awesome hunt, Julie! I can feel the excitement throughout the hunt. The traffic jam doesn't sound interesting though; in fact, it sounds frightfully frustrating!

25th is a respectable achievement. The champions this year came all the way up from 78th, so I see you up there too next year?

Hope to meet you and Lyn on 18th during VK's hunt. Wear something sexy like the "LO KAT" so that easier to spot... hehehe. But not too LO KAT, otherwise uncle can't concentrate on the hunt! BTW, that's interesting, I don't think we have that LO KAT here in KK. I must check it out at the supermarket.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the traffic jam was really frustrating! But I can't wait for the next Sun Hunt... so fast get withdrawal symptoms already...

And ckoh dear, you will definitely see Julie & I during VK's hunt!

Cornelius said...

Hi claire dear, I can see you are all pumped up after the Sun. Your brain muscle must be at its peak right now, huh? Try this for the run up to the 18th:

Malaysian figure having a convulsion?

(A) Abdullah Ahmad Badawi

(B) Tun Dr Mahathir Mohd

(C) Dr Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor

(D) Lim Goh Tong

(E) Ahmad Fairuz

Cornelius said...

Oh yes, don't spoil the fun for others who might want to try it too (although most would just wait for the answer).

Send answer to ckoh1965@yahoo.com

asriali said...

hi, in future when there's a clue read out at radio, use your handphone recording function so that you can play it over and over again... that's what my team did ;)

Anonymous said...

great idea, asri